PAST PERFERCT TRAINING
Past Perfect Simple
Complete the sentences below with the simple form of past perfect.
Example: He ____________ (leave) when I arrived.
He had left when I arrived.
1. I thought I knew her. I thought I (see) her before.
2. He (drive) only twice in his life before the accident.
3. Bonny no longer had her car. She (sell) it.
4. I saw Annabel last week. She (change) a lot.
5. Terry wasn't at home He (just go) out.
6. I tried to find Mr Jones but he wasn't around. Then I found out he
7. He didn't need to borrow the car because he (have)
his bike repaired.
8. Jenny (just get) home when the phone rang.
9. The new restaurant wasn't open any longer. It (close) down.
10. He fed the cat because no-one (feed) it for days.
Put in the verbs in brackets into the gaps and form sentences in Past Perfect. Use contracted forms only when there are personal pronouns.
Do you need help?
Form of the Past Perfect
1. She in Sweden before she went to Norway. (to live)
2. After we the cornflakes, Henry came in. (to eat)
3. Before Ken ran to Kerry's house, he him. (to phone)
4. After they their rucksacks, they rode away on their bikes. (to pack)
5. Gerry helped his grandma in the house because his father him so. (to tell)
6. The cat hid under the chair because the children so loud. (to be)
7. Before the students started to write, the teacher their mobile phones. (to collect)
8. After Max his breakfast, he left the flat. (to finish)
9. Laura repaired her glasses because her brother them. (to break)
10. By the time the show began, all friends . (to arrive)
1.He in Spain before he went to Italy. (to live)
2.After we the wine, Sean came in. (to drink)
3.Before I went to the doctor, I him to make an appointment. (to phone)
4.After they their sandwiches, they carried on playing cards. (to eat)
5.Jake helped his father in the garden because his mother him to. (to tell)
6.We thought the children were asleep because they so quiet. (to be)
7.Before we left the village, we good bye to everyone. (to say)
8.After Martin , he got dressed. (to shower)
9.Susan changed her dress because her brother juice on it. (to spill)
10.By the time the play began, all my friends . (to arrive)
Past Perfect tense exercises. Fill in the gaps with the words at the very end of the sentences in Past Perfect Tense.
1. It to rain after we to the station. (start / get)
2. We the village where we as children. (visit / live)
3. By the time we the inn all the guests . (reach / leave)
4. We him just after he news of his dismissal. (meet / get)
5. I said I that play before. (see)
6. Nobody where she . (know / go)
7. They dinner when we . (finish / arrive)
8. He said that he already twice our town. (visit)
9. We to know which novels he . (want / read)
10. They told us that the children all the cake. (eat)
11. Why didn't you go to bed after you supper? (have)
12. By that time we your telegram. (already get)
13. She all her money before her father . (spend / come)
14. Your letter five minutes after he . (come / leave)
15. I him for the flowers he me. (thank / send)
16. After we writing we in the garden. (finish / play)
17. Who into the room after the telephone ? (come / ring)
18. We couldn’t the door because he our keys. (open / lose)
19. She to cry when the light out. (begin / go)
20. By the time I him he his studies. (meet / already finish)
2. Past Perfect - Questions
3. Make the past perfect simple - 'wh' or 'yes/no' questions
(you/go) there before we went together?
Had you gone
(she/see) the film already?
Had she seen
(he/forget) about the meeting?
had he forgotten
(it/be) cold all week?
Had it been
(I/read) the book before the class?
Had I read
6) When she arrived
had we eaten
(you/be) when I saw you?
had you been
(they/travel) by bullet train before?
Had they travelled
(John/meet) Lucy before they worked together?
Had John met